Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Local Revision: Tense Usage

I used all three tenses (past, present, and future) in my QRG. However, I used the past and the present tense more than the future tense (I only used the future tense once). Here is my list for each..

Robbie. “Grammatical Tense.”  May 2008 via Wikimedia. Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported.


Past:  

  • stood
  • was filmed
  • received 
  • sparked- 3
  • were- 3
  • praised
  • deserved- 2 
  • disrespected 
  • portrayed
  • had- 2
  • lauded
  • was- 2
  • involved- 2
  • carried out
  • downplayed
  • reported- 5
  • was asked
  • spent- 2
  • committed
  • stated
  • performed
  • made
  • blurred
  • reviewed
  • credited
  • was given
  • called
  • poured
  • expressed
  • denied
  • designed
  • broadcasted
  • ingrained
  • created
  • demeaned
  • claimed
  • congratulated
  • celebrated

Present:
  • watching 
  • receive- 2
  • split
  • is- 11
  • does 
  • are-2
  • trying- 2
  • let
  • diminish- 3
  • insists
  • preparing- 2
  • feel
  • hold
  • given
  • dividing 
  • spoke out
  • defending- 2
  • say- 4
  • telling
  • participating
  • hone
  • practicing
  • raise 
  • represents
  • speaking out
  • isn’t clamoring
  • has
  • perform- 2
  • staking
  • have
  • reporting
  • count
  • dance- 2
  • establish- 2
  • has come out
  • discern
  • has devoted
  • was given 
  • stands
  • denying 
  • protect
  • to think
  • be given 
  • references
  • reiterates
  • thinking 
  • creates
  • pop up 
  • dichotomize
  • stole
  • decide
  • are willing
  • will remain-2


Future:

  • would say

Questions: 


1. Which tense is the most prevalent in your draft?


  • Present tense was the most prevalent in my draft. 


2. What effect or tone/quality does the current usage of tense have on the reader/viewer/listener?


  • The tense keeps my QRG present and relatable to my readers. 


3. If you're using more than one tense in the draft (which is not a bad thing at all), do the shifts between different tenses in the piece make sense? How do they flow? Are there any jarring or dischordant shifts in tense?



  • Yes the shifts make sense because when I am describing what happened when the controversy began I am using past tense because my controversy was in the past. However, most of my draft is in present tense because I am writing in the present to connect with my readers and relate it to what is happening in my controversy today. 


  • 4. If you have not employed any present tense verbs in your piece - why not? Are there any moments of crescendo or dramatic action in the story you're telling that could benefit from being described or told in the present tense? Remember, present tense has an immediacy to it. It puts the audience right into the story as it is unfolding. It's a powerful technique. Could your piece benefit from that technique? How and why?


    • I used present tense the most. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment