Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Rhetorical Analysis of Project 3

This blog post helped me decide what my argument should be about. It also helped me think about my audience and any counter-arguments I will encounter. It was a good way to start researching and planning project 3.

Author:

  1. How will you draw on any or some of the following for Project 3? Be specific about how your plans for Project 3 connect to some previous, current or burgeoning interest of your own, such as...


  • your own general research interests.
    Since we will be working on this project for four weeks, it is important that the argument I choose is interesting to me. I need to be passionate enough about the subject to want to inform others of this controversy/ argument. It is also important that I am interested in all of the research I will be conducting to gather all of my information. 



  • your major(s) and/or minor(s) here at the University of Arizona.
    I am currently a dance major along with communications major. I have been dancing ever since the age of three and am very passionate about anything related to dance. I would be very interested in all of the research for this project.

  • other subjects of interest you have encountered here or elsewhere in your recent studies.
    I have many other interests that I could use for this project. For example, I am very passionate about animals and have recently become a vegetarian. Researching something I am interested in will make this project more fun. 
  • your academic and/or professional goals.
    It will be very beneficial for my future if I conduct research about what profession I want to be in when I am older. I will be more motivated to do research and it will be more interesting to me. 



  • current-day social, cultural or political issues that you follow and are interested in.
    I am interested in social media and how it is effecting society. I am also interested in the environment, equal rights, and many other topics that I could use for my argument. 



  • subjects of personal interest or study, for instance:
    • hobbies such as hiking & climbing, gaming/programming, following sports or movies or music, etc.
      I am interested in dance, music, social life and communication, the outdoors, and the arts. Any of these subjects I would enjoy doing research and learning more about. 



    • skills you have committed yourself to acquiring like dedication to a sport, an instrument, a practice such as yoga or meditation, etc.
      I am very dedicated to dance and the arts. I would be very passionate talking about this subject.


    • subjects you’ve read about previously in science or history or literature, etc.
      I am currently in a nutrition class that is very interesting to me. I also enjoy reading about the arts, dance, gay marriage, and anything about the self being. 



2. What are the preconceptions, previously held opinions and/or potential areas for personal  
bias that you should be aware of for Project 3? What about any of the

      following?:

    • Your family of origin, and the spoken or unspoken set(s) of “family values” that come with belonging to that family.

      My family is very respectful. However, I was taught and raised to stand up for what I believe in.

    • The social class of yourself/your family (consider honestly your family’s level of access to wealth, real estate, travel, leisure, luxury items, etc.).

      My family would be considered middle class.” We are not very wealthy and have to be smart with our money, but we do not struggle to eat or survive. Therefor, I consider myself very lucky live the way I do.

    • The location/geography where you were raised, and whatever local norms, customs, attitudes, traditions, and/or prejudices come with belonging or not belonging.

      My parents lived in Illinois their whole lives. However, I was born and raised in a suburb in southern California. Living an hour away from LA has allowed me to grow up in a suburb with a city close by so I get to experience urban areas as well.

    • The religious and/or spiritual tradition you were raised in, and whatever beliefs, values, worldviews and/or prejudices come with belonging or not belonging.

      Growing up, my family attended Catholic Church. That is the religion I grew up with. However, I do not agree with everything the church stresses, such as being against gay marriage. My parents are open to me following my own beliefs and values.

    • The political beliefs of the family, community, area/region or state in which you were raised, and whatever attitudes, beliefs, traditions, values and/or prejudices come with belonging or not belonging.

      My parents are conservatives and that has definitely rubbed off on me. I would consider myself more of an independent because I agree with some aspects of both political parties.

Audience:

Based on your plans for Project 3, answer the following…
  1. How are you thinking about your audience for this project? Who are you going to make this for? Describe them.

    My audience is people who have similar beliefs as me, especially on the subject of animal cruelty and using animals to test products. My goal is to convince and inform people why animal testing for products is bad. 

  2. What beliefs and assumptions might this audience already hold? What position are they likely to take on this issue? How will you respond to that position?

    Whoever watches my video essay will probably already have an opinion about the argument. However, hopefully after they watch my video I will affect that opinion, if they are for animal testing and make them rethink things.

  3. How might they react to your argument?

    They will most likely react with counter arguments defending their beliefs.

  4. How are you going to relate to or connect with your audience? Are there any specific words, ideas or ways of arguing that will help you relate to them in this way?

    I am going to use rhetorical strategies to connect with my audience. I am going to play with their emotions, use logos to support my statements, and provide credibility for myself and where all of my information came from.

  5. Think of one specific person or a set of people you know personally or professionally who fall within the definition of ‘target audience’ you’re using for Project 3. What could you tell them or say to them in order to convince them of your perspective? What would need to happen for them to agree with you?

My "target audience” would be any individuals, businesses, or lawmakers who disagree
with my view about animal cruelty, especially the people who are making money from  
it.

Purpose/Message.
  1. What do you want to accomplish with Project 3? What affect do you want it to have on your intended audience? For instance:
    • What might you want your audience to do after reading/watching/listening to my project?

      I want them to personally want to advocate for animal rights and think about which products and companies they support/ buy from.

    • What might you want your audience to consider after reading/watching/ listening to your project?

      I want my audience to consider the animals and how they are being treated. I also want them to consider boycotting certain companies who use animals to test their products.

    • What might you want your audience to believe after reading/watching/ listening to your project?

      I want my audience to believe that animal cruelty and testing is bad and that there is a way to test products and make sure they are safe without hurting animals.

      2.    Now that you’ve done all your research and figured out what you think about the
             controversy you’ve chosen, what still needs to be accomplished? For instance:
    • Is there anything that still needs to be explained or pointed out to the people talking about this issue?
      Not that I have found from the research I have done.

    • Is there anything that the people arguing about this need to be reminded of or made aware of?

      People need to remember that animals are alive and can feel pain as well.

    • Are there any perspectives on the issue that still need to be expressed?
      What other options are there besides testing on animals.

    • Are there any persons who we still need to hear from?
      There are many organizations, such as PETA, and other individuals who are passionate about this subject and have a lot to say about it. 

       Is there any information that we still need to gather?

      Yes, I still need to research all of the statistics regarding animal testing.  

Context. What are the particular circumstances surrounding this assignment?

  • We need to make an argument about a current public controversy that is of interest to us by using rhetorical situations and strategies.
What genre?
  1. What course genre will you be writing in for Project 3?

    video essay

  2. What kinds of audience expectations come along with this genre, generally?

    The audience expects good visuals and sounds and an engaging voice that captivates them.

  3. What is your history working in the genre you have selected for Project 3?

    I have no experience making video essays.

  4. Describe your comfort level and general feelings about the genre. How will they affect your work on Project 3?

    I am very nervous about making a video essay. I am unfamiliar with the genre and have heard scary things about it from my peers. Not being confident about the genre could affect how my work turns out.

5. What are the two most effective conventions in this genre, in your opinion? Why? Be 
specific.
The two most effective conventions of video essays are a capturing and interesting voice,  
and visuals. Those are the only two senses being stimulated and therefor should be  
interesting, pleasing, and intriguing.

When?
  1. Are there any historical events that might impact how your audience perceives your argument or the kind of background information or evidence you need to include? For instance, does media reporting on any of the following involve your issue/subject for Project 3?:
    • The approval or rejections of laws and/or budgets by the Executive branch of the U.S. government.

      Yes, the Executive branch of the government could approve or reject laws relating to animal testing.

    • Cabinet appointments and removals made by the Executive branch of the U.S. government.

      This could affect the voting of certain laws related to my argument.

    • The authorization or funding of military hostilities by the Executive branch of the U.S. government.

      This does not affect my argument.

    • The writing of, discussion about and voting on laws and/or budgets in the Legislative branch of the U.S. government.

      I should include any laws related to animal testing in my project.

    • The explanations made for legal decisions in the Judicial branch of the U.S. government.

      Anything related to laws and animal cruelty should be included in my project.

       3.    What are the three or four major counter-arguments you’ll have to respond to, based upon what people are saying in the press/media? Be specific and cite your sources using working hyperlinks.
  • Animals are very important for medical research to help cure diseases.
  • It is better than testing on humans. 


  • "We share 95% of our genes with a mouse, making them an effective model for the human body."


  • 1 comment:

    1. Emily, I think that you have a great understanding of this project especially what you need to research for the project. One thing that I would recommend is that you make sure to find all the laws involving animal research as well as the history of animal testing before production. This is a great beginning to your third project.

      ReplyDelete